How to Prevent Obesity in Children?
How to Prevent Obesity in Children? – Cases of obesity in children worldwide are likely to increase from year by year. As we know, obesity in children can have an impact on the child’s health in later life. The risk of dangerous diseases like stroke, heart attack, and diabetes are also stalking the children who are obese.
How to measure obesity in children? One of which is by using tables BMI (Body Mass Index). This method is not used as a general standard for determining obesity in children. However, some experts argue if the weight of children in the top 20 percent of a healthy body weight, then the child can be categorized as obese.
Another way is to measure the percentage of body fat in children. A boy said to be obese if they have body fat percentage above 25 percent. As for the girls in the top 32 percent.
The majority of overweight and obesity is due to overeating. It is classified as a primary obesity. The rest, diseases or disorders caused by hormonal or genetic disorders that are categorized in the secondary obesity.
- Several factors can affect the rising cases of obesity in children include:
- Advances in technology designed to make life easier and more entertaining
- Access to high-calorie foods and high fat is easier
- Modern leisure activities such as playing games, computer and watching TV
- Advertising of fast food and other unhealthy foods that attract children
- Living in a dense environment and limitations of the play area
- Unhealthy lifestyle that inherited by their parents
However, one bright hope have been raised in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Although obesity is a major cause of death, but obesity in children can be prevented to protect them from the risk of disease and premature death.
Wrong diet that is applied during childhood is very difficult to be changed until the child was a teenager to adulthood. Therefore it is very important to teach our children about good habits early in their lives.
How to prevent obesity in children? Here are some healthy eating tips that you can apply to your children.
- Be a role model and give an example to your children eat healthy food culture at home
- Use your authority to control the food that is cooked and purchased by your family
- Encourage your child to live a life that is healthy not just focus on weight loss alone.
- Always prepare healthy meals and snacks at home
- Give your child a healthy meal before going to the mall
- Do not let your child spend on food while watching television
- Do not use traditional food as a prize or reward
In addition, you can also introduce some mild exercise such as walking or jogging healthy to your children. The higher activity levels of children, the more calories you burn and the greater the chances of your child to be free from obesity. Hopefully, those best tips on how to prevent obesity in children can help you more.